Date balls are the big craze now a days, especially those made with raw ingredients and superfoods, such as cacao, goji berries, maca powder and chia seeds. But who wants to make date balls that cost you $30?! Not me! I made these date balls out of ingredients that are available at almost all markets, saving you a million dollar trip to whole foods. And they still are sooo good, with fresh and clean ingredients, and I promise that they taste just like cake! With this being said, I decided to actually transform my basic cacao date ball recipes into an actual cake version, with a raw frosting to go along with it! Make sure that you realize you can replace cacao with cocoa, and the raw nuts with any form of the nut, or any other nut, that is more affordable or available.
Raw Vegan German Chocolate Cake
Coconut Vanilla Frosting
- 2 tbsp chopped [raw] pecans
- 2 cups [raw] cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp raw vanilla powder (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 6-8 medjool dates
- Water as needed
- Unpit and soak the dates for 15 minutes.
- Pulse (in the food processor) the cashews and pecans until a fine meal. Add the coconut oil, shredded coconut, vanilla powder and drained dates.
- Process until well combined, adding water as necessary to thin. Let the frosting sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour for the coconut oil to harden again, thickening the frosting.
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa if more readily affordable/available)
- 3 Tablespoons raw agave
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tsp raw vanilla powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Water as needed to thin
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa if more readily affordable/available)
- 1 + 3/4 cups [raw] almonds
- 1/4 cup [raw] pecans
- 13 medjool dates
- 6 tbsp water
- Unpit dates and soak for 15 minutes.
- Process nuts and cacao powder until they become a fine meal.
- Drain and add the soaked dates, then process until combined.
- Run the processor add the water/nut milk as needed until desired cake like consistency is reached.
- Press and pack into the desired pan, making sure to flatten the cake evenly.
- Then top the cake with the desired amount of frosting, and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Slice and enjoy 🙂